This is another Hakka cuisine – Yam with Belly Pork or Sandwich Yam and Pork. In this quick and easy vegetarian version, only yam is used and dried mushrooms are added. To substitute for the pork, uses deep fried firm tofu or beancurd slice, if desired.
Preparation: 10 mins, Cooking time: 20 mins
Ingredients (serves 2-3)
° 250g taro (yam), peeled, sliced into 1cm thickness and deep-fried
° 4 chinese dried mushrooms, soaked
° 1 thin slice ginger
° 2 pieces red fermented bean curd (2cm x 2cm cube), mashed finely
° ½-1 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
° 1 teaspoon sesame oil
° sugar to taste
° 200-250ml water
° 1 teaspoon Chinese cooking wine (optional)
° a small handful fresh coriander leaves (optional), for garnish
1. Heat oil in a wok. Add the ginger and fry till golden brown.
2. Add the red fermented bean curb, Chinese five-spice powder, cooking wine and stir-fry briskly until aromatic.
3. Add the mushrooms, taros, sesame oil and water. Bring to a boil and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until the sauce is slightly dry.
4. Transfer to a serving dish and garnish with coriander leaves.
1. Taro can be deep-fried prior to be stewed, if desired.