This vegetarian version of Chinese dumpling consists of vegetarian ham or vegetarian meat and chopped vegetables like Chinese cabbage, carrot, mushroom and water chestnut. It can be boiled or steamed or cooked in steamboat. A popular dish during Chinese New Year.
Preparation: 25 mins, Cooking time: 15 mins
Ingredients (makes 30 pieces)
° 1 pack (200g) dumpling wrapper
° 100g vegetarian ham or vegetarian meat, coarsely chopped
° 100g Chinese cabbage, coarsely chopped
° 50g carrot, peeled and coarsely chopped
° 6 fresh shiitake mushrooms, coarsely chopped
° 4 water chestnuts (optional), peeled and coarsely chopped
° 1 clove garlic or 1 slice ginger, finely chopped
° 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
° 3 tablespoons light soy sauce
° 1 teaspoon sugar
° 2 teaspoons cornstarch
° 6 tablespoons water
° ½ teaspoon sesame oil
° pepper, to taste
To prepare filling
1. Mix all the sauce ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
2. Heat oil in a wok. Add the garlic or ginger and fry till golden brown. Add in all the vegetables and stir-fry until tender. Stir in the sauce mixture and fry until dry.
3. Transfer to a dish and let it cool.
To wrap dumpling
1. Lay a dumpling wrapper in front of you. Place some of filling in the middle and wet the edge with some water (or water and flour mixture). Fold up. Work from right to left, press and shape the dumpling. Press and seal the dumpling’s opening with your thumb.
To boil dumpling
1. Bring 750ml of water to a boil in a pot or wok. Add the dumplings and return to the boil. Remove the dumplings with a slotted spoon when they float to the surface.
2. Transfer to individual serving bowls and garnish with one or two Chinese lettuce leaves. Ladle the hot soup into the bowl and sprinkle with some fresh spring onion.