Sunday, June 24, 2007

Udon Noodle Soup

This udon noodle soup usually uses dashi broth (consist of konbu - kelps and katsuobushi - dried bonito flakes) and topped with tempura fritter. In here, this recipe utilizes the kelps and mushrooms to make the dashi soup base. Just add some vegetables tempura or agedashi tofu, if desired.

Preparation: 5 mins, Cooking time: 20 mins

Ingredients (serves 2)

° 8 dried kelps in knot
° 4 shiitake mushrooms, sliced or halved
° 2 thin slices ginger
° 750ml water, for soup base
° 1 teaspoon sugar
° ½ teaspoon salt, or to taste
° 30ml shoyu (Japanese soy sauce) or light soy sauce, or to taste
° 30ml mirin or 10ml cooking rice wine
° 750ml water, for cooking udon
° 2 packs (400g) udon noodle
° finely shredded spring onion, for garnish
° shichimi togarashi (optional), to serve

Method
1. Place the dried kelps, mushroom, ginger and water in a pot. Bring to a boil and simmer for 10-15 minutes. Add in sugar, salt, shoyu, and mirin and simmer for 1 minute.
2. Meanwhile, place the udon in a pot or wok of lightly salted boiling water and cook for 5 minutes or until tender. Drain the noodle thoroughly and divide among 2 individual serving bowls. Garnish with spring onion.
3. Ladle the soup into individual serving bowls, sprinkle with spring onion, shichimi togarashi and serve immediately.

Tip
1. Substitute shichimi togarashi(seven-spice mix) with chilli powder and a few lightly toasted black and white sesame seeds, if desired.

8 comments:

Winter Chew said...

Hey, I think your website is very useful, I tried some of the dishes, and my husband love it. By the way, do you happen to know how to cook vegetarian herbal soup?

a veg*n @ Blog*Spot said...

Thank you Winter for your compliments :)

Vegetarian Herbal Soup, I do make once a while, but have not write out recipe yet. I am still thinking on how to replace the mock meat stuff for the herbal soup.

Once it is ready, i will post on the blog :)

Unknown said...

Thanks for this recipe. Do you know if it works to substitute Wakame for Kombu?

a veg*n @ Blog*Spot said...

Hi Revati :)

It depends on what you are using Wakame for, i guess? For making stock, I would use kombu, much prefer.

You can give it a try, no harm.

Cheers :)

Anonymous said...

Bonito is a fish and is not vegetarian. Please do not pose this as if it was.

a veg*n @ Blog*Spot said...

Hi Anonymous,

Yes, I know bonito is fish and not vegetarian except for pesco vegetarian who eat fish. In this recipe, no bonito is been used at all in the ingredient list, don't worry (I don't eat fish too).

What I was saying is that Dashi Soup/Broth where we get in eateries or supermarket, contains bonito extract. Therefore, to make vegetarian dashi soup, we can omit the bonito and use kelps and mushroom.

Cheers :)

Anonymous said...

Hi,

1) May I know if Kombu can be eaten as most of the recipes I read is to throw them away once the soup base is cooked.

2) Do we need to wash the Kombu?

3) Do we need to soak the Kombu?

4) Once we soak the Kombu, can the soak water be use?

I hope my question is not stupid but I really like to find out more as I have 2 packet which my friend gave me but till now I don't know what to do with it.

Please kindly advise me.

Thank you in advance for your explanation.

a veg*n @ Blog*Spot said...

Hi,

No worries :) I try to answer

Kombu can be eaten (use it to make a seasoned cold dish) after using it to make the soup base, if desired. In my recipes here, I don’t really use kombu, as I find the shreds kelps or kelps in knot which I can get here is much more faster, simpler and easier.

Some cookbook don’t suggest washing it, just wiping it. Personally, I don’t feel good by just wiping it, so what I did was, a quick rinse.

Soaking kombu and whether the soaking water can be used after that, I need to read up to find out, at the moment, I have no answer yet. Sorry.

Cheers : )

Related Posts with Thumbnails