Friday, September 25, 2009

Cabbage Tofu Parcel


Lost my entire photo collection again (corrupted), second time in a month, guess I will have to stop blogging for a while, no photo for the recipes. Only left with this photo and also decided to pamper myself (laze a bit) after I had made a trip to Blood Bank for blood donation yesterday.

The ‘O’ blood group is current at status LOW these few weeks - http://www.donorweb.org/bloodstocks/, so if you are a local and feeling well for the past 3 weeks and didn’t take any medication for past 3 days, make a trip for blood donation if possible. Who says Vegetarian Diet is lacking, if a Thalassemia Minor like me on a Veg*n diet donated blood for 7 times already, so no worry if you eat well.


Back to this recipe, for a change, using cabbage leaves to wrap the tofu (the tofu ingredients can be used to make tofu ball, wonton filling  etc with slight modifications) … It is a little bit of work and I feel that the marinating ingredients, sauce and tofu texture can be further improved. Maybe, next round I would try adding otah ingredients to it or something else. Give the cabbage leaf a very quick blanch, to soften it for wrapping. Keep the water from blanching for steaming. For simplicity and control of oil intake, I omitted the step heating oil in the wok with ginger or garlic, to make the sauce.    


Preparation:      15 mins Cooking time:    15 mins 

Ingredients (makes 6 pieces)
°         1 (225g) firm tofu (beancurd), washed, pat dry with kitchen paper and mashed
°         6 pieces Beijing Cabbage leave, blanched
°         3 Chinese dried mushrooms, soaked, drained and chopped
°         ½  carrot, chopped
°         1 tablespoon corn starch
°         1 teaspoon sesame oil
°         sugar, to taste
°         salt, to taste
°         pepper, to taste

Sauce
°         125ml stock or water
°         1 tablespoon vegetarian oyster sauce
°         1 tablespoon light soy sauce
°         ¼ - ½ teaspoon sugar
°         ½ teaspoon sesame oil
°         1 teaspoon corn flour

Method
1.       Combine the mashed tofu, mushrooms, carrot, corn starch, sesame oil, sugar, salt, pepper and mix well. Divide into 6 portions.
2.       Place 1 pieces of cabbage leaves on the chopping board or plate. Place a portion of tofu in the centre and roll up.  Secure with a toothpick, if desired and repeat with the rest. 
3.       Place the tofu parcel on the plate and steam for 10 minutes.
4.       Meanwhile, pour all the sauce ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Heat the mixture in a wok, stirring and bring to a boil.
5.       Arrange the cabbage tofu parcel on a serving plate and drizzle with sauce and serve immediately. 

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh, i didn't know they have a website for this! is it really accurate? or just updated like once every few mths?

a veg*n @ Blog*Spot said...

Hi,

The previous format was on a daily basis. This one, they didn't put down the date on last update.

The main web is www.donorweb.org

This month i had received 2 sms from red cross blood drive, indicating urgent need for type 'O' ...

Cheers :)

greencare said...

thanks for the recipe... I will try. would you like to share it in ecofuture.net??

I have a blog on vegetarianism, I'll appreciate if I can get your feedback too: www.ecofuture.net/greencare

a veg*n @ Blog*Spot said...

Hi Greencare

Thank you very much. Not a problem at all :)

Cheers :)

danielle herbert said...

I would like to share the recipe I made last night, and it was a good one!
Finely chopped celery stalks, not too big
two medium red onions finely chopped
2 sweet pickles finely chopped
a lot of fresh chopped cilantro, maybe 3/4 of a cup or more. can't put too much!
About a cup of finely chopped purple cabbage! Makes is so beautiful
about 20 finely chopped roma tomatoes
fresh ground black pepper
splash or two of soy sauce
juice of one large lemon
some finely chopped leek, about one stalk is good
about 7 red chiles, finely chopped, be careful not to touch your face! Jalapenos are better, but we only get them at certain times of the year here.
I made a garlic pasted with about 20 cloves of roasted garlic in my mortar and pestle. I roasted the garlic in a little olive oil, sea salt and just a splash of balsamic vinegar, chopped chiles and fresh ground pepper.
Finely chopped roasted green or red bell pepper. I roasted them with the garlic. yummy!
I mixed in the garlic and peppers, and added a splash of red wine vinegar
mix well and serve. It's a lot of stuff, but oh so worth it.

I have lots of vegetarian recipes in my head, please feel free to contact me for any of them or any vegetarian cooking tips. If you want information about working from home, I can help with that too. Enjoy!

I am a retired teacher living in Thailand. Ever since Thailand went to a free education system, the native speakers like myself, lost their jobs to the Filipino teachers, so I turned to a home business. It all worked out for the better. Now I don’t have to teach, and I have time for my real passion in life, cooking!

The letter J said...

wow, this receipe looks good!
i am trying this in the weekend, wish me luck!

thank you for sharing!

Joy

a veg*n @ Blog*Spot said...

Hi Joy,

This is a nice name - Joy.

Let go of any expectation nor the need to be exactly the same when trying this dish, just trust yourself, relax and have fun making this dish, the result will be uniquely amazing.

Just enjoy the process =)

Cheers :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails