This is a easily made party dessert.
Preparation: 10 mins, Cooking time: 15 mins
Ingredients (makes 8 pieces)
° 125g sago pearls, rinse and soaked with plenty of water for 15mins, drained
° 2 pandan leaves (screwpine), tied into a knot
° 1 tablespoon sugar
° 1.5 litres water
° food colouring (optional)
° 100-125g gula malaka (palm sugar), chopped
° 50ml water
° 250 ml coconut milk
° ¼ salt or to taste
1. Combine pandan leaves, sugar and bring 1.5 litres water to a boil. Stir in sago pearls and simmer for 5-6 minutes or until sago pearls are almost translucent with just a barest white fleck in the centre.
2. Pour the content of the pot a fine-meshed sieve and drain off excess water. Immediately, spoon sago pearls into the moulds or cups, pressing lightly to pack them in. Let it cool, and chill for 1 hour or until fully set.
3. Combine chopped gula melaka with water in a small pot and cook over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Strain into a serving jug and set aside.
4. In a clean pot, bring coconut milk with salt to a boil. Alternatively, sprinkle salt to coconut milk. Chill and set aside.
5. Serve sago pudding with gula melaka sauce and coconut sauce.
1. Add different food colouring to sago pudding, if desired.