Chinese mustard cabbage can be found in different varieties. It can stand up to stir-fry or braising in a sauce. To make this dish more interesting, add some shitake mushrooms or shimeji mushrooms, if desired. This vegetable can be used to make salted vegetable too, refer to Home-made Salted Mustard Green and Stir-Fried Home-made Salted Mustard Green for the recipe.
Preparation: 5 mins, Cooking time: 5 mins
Ingredients (serves 2-3)
° 300g Chinese mustard, cut into small pieces
° 8 thin slices ginger
° 2 cloves garlic (optional), finely chopped
° 1 red chilli, seeded and sliced
° 1 teaspoons corn starch, mixed with 30ml water
° 30ml water
° ½ teaspoon sesame oil
° ½-1 teaspoon sugar, or to taste
° ½ teaspoon salt, or to taste
° pepper, to taste
° 1 teaspoon cooking rice wine (optional)
1. Mix all the ingredients for the sauce in a bowl and set aside.
2. Heat oil in a wok or frying pan. Add the ginger, garlic and stir-fry for 1 minute.
3. Add the Chinese mustard and stir-fry for 2 minutes. Stir in the sauce and bring to a boil for 1-1½ minutes.
4. Stir in the corn starch mixture and throw in the chilli. Bring to a boil.
5. Transfer to a serving dish and serve immediately.