Oh, my corn battleship sushi does not resemble the battleship. I didn’t make the rice “oblong” enough in a hurry and it looks like sushi with some mayo corn topping. This sushi should be prepared just before serving as the nori turn soft rather quickly.
Preparation: 45 mins, Cooking time: 20 mins
Ingredients (makes 12)
° 200g rice, washed and drained
° 400ml water
° 1.5 tablespoons Japanese rice vinegar or apple cider vinegar
° 1 teaspoon sugar
° ½ teaspoon salt
° 3 sheets nori, toasted and cut into 4 equal strips
° 2 ears corn on the cob, cut or peeled kernels off the cob
° 2 tablespoons vegan mayonnaise or vegetarian salad cream, to taste
1. Add the rice and water into an electric rice cooker and turn it on. When done, leave the cooked rice to rest, covered, for 5-10 minutes.
2. To make mayo corn, put the corn kernels in a heatproof serving plate and steam for 8-10 minutes. Remove from streamer and leave to cool. Mix well with mayonnaise.
3. In a bowl, combine the vinegar, sugar, salt and stir until dissolved. Using the rice paddle or spoon to spread the cooked rice. Stir in the combined vinegar, sugar and salt. Fold the rice to mix well and divide into 12 portions.
4. Wet your hand and pick up one portion of rice. Roll to form an oblong shape slightly less than 1 inch thick and place on a plate. Repeat with remaining rice.
5. Wrap a nori strip around each rice oblong and seal with 2 grain of rice at the edge.
6. Spoon some mayo corn onto all the rice and serve.