Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Funori Jelly a.k.a Algae Essence Jelly

Algae Essence Jelly with Macha Soy Milk Dessert  ...
Algae Essence Drink with Ice Jelly Powder added to create a firmer texture ...
Algae Essence Drink with Fresh Lotus Seeds ...
I  bought a pack of Algae Essence (300g± @ S$5.50) from Friendly Vegetarian Food Supplier and make this jelly.  The ingredients listed are Algae, Longans, Red dates, Dark Brown Sugar.  If you want to know how this taste likes, it is exactly like winter melon drink from Yeo's or the traditional birdnest drink that was very popular in the Pasar Malam in the past (we still can find this drink in some of the Pasar Malam). 
Algae Essence (300g± @ S$5.50)

Algae Essence block (300g±)
I like making Jelly for colleagues and family members (not that I love jelly) because it is super simple and simply great. It can be made in advance and keep in the refrigerator up to a week. A small piece of chilled jelly after a meal, is so refreshing and kids love it too.  For this jelly, my young man does not really like it, as it contains Red Dates bits in it.

It is real simple to make this jelly even kid can do it.  Instead of following the instruction of using 5 litre of water, I used 2.5 litre of water to boil the Algae Essence block.  After chilling it, it becomes wobbly jelly and the sweetness is just nice.  You can also break the Algae Essence block up into smaller pieces (to speed up cooking) prior to throwing into the water and bring to a boil. Add ice jelly powder to it, if you want a firmer version jelly.

You can serve this as jelly or combine with other ingredients to make it into a beautiful and special dessert.  For a quick and no-fuss, simple and fun to serve, I added Macha Soy Milk to it.  It helps to give this dessert a contrasting color and also to create unique, random design or pattern. You can serve with Nata De Coco cubes or fruit cocktails, just like the ice jelly dessert.

If you want to taste this and not wanting to cook it, purchase the read-made jelly from the Vegetarian or Organic Eateries.

14 comments:

tracieMoo said...

The block of algae is new to me. And I really love the idea of it in the soy milk! It looks very refreshing. Something interesting and different to me. I would love to try this. Great blog you have here. :)

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

The jelly look really nice

a veg*n @ Blog*Spot said...

Thank you TracieMoo & Sonia :)

Halimah Ilavarasi said...

Welcome back Crystal :) Love the algae essence idea.. only think I don't like is the fact that is already pre-sweetened. I prefer using more natural sugar than refined sugar. But the pics look great :)

a veg*n @ Blog*Spot said...

Hi Halimah :) Thank you.

I have the same concern too, that why, it took me a long time before I decide to purchase this.

Exactly, I was posting few more before closing off for 2009 and saying Merry X'mas and Happy New Year and off for a longer break again.

Cheers :)

Sunny said...

Wow, I wish I could sample your creation. Maybe I shd move near you...:P

a veg*n @ Blog*Spot said...

Hi Sunny

Ha..ha... :)

I had just given away half of it away to my neighbour ...

2.5 litre of jelly is quite a lot, i wish it came in smaller block - it is rather difficult to break them up.

This morning, I had this dessert with normal soymilk! The jelly impact the flavour to the soymilk!

Cheers :)

**[S]H|n[0]^21** said...

Hi...do you know where can i buy the algae essence block?? Can let know the shop name?

**[S]H|n[0]^21** said...

Hi....
Can I know where can i buy the algae essence jelly?? Can let me know the shop name?

a veg*n @ Blog*Spot said...

Hi :)

It is Friendly Vegetarian Food Supplier, there is one at AMK Blk 421 Ave 10 and the other at Pasir Panjang #01-24 Wholesale centre.
www.friendlyvegetarian.com.sg

Now, they carry 2 different brands for this product and taste slightly different. The other one which is different from this post is in cube form, so it is easy to use (we don't have to chop if we need make some amount.

There is another brand by another vegetarian shop - Gao Yi.

Hope this helps :)

Cheers :)

Anonymous said...

Hi,
Found something similar from another brand, marketing just outside your favorite Fortune ctr vegetarian grocery shop.
They lso have the plain version which you cld add your own lemon & passion fruit juice to have a milder & refreshing taste & also in smaller packs.:-)

a veg*n @ Blog*Spot said...

Hi,

Thank you for sharing the information :)

Haha..., not my favorite Fortune Ctr Vegetarian Grocery Shop, just that I find this shop easily to recommend because of its location.

So far, I don't have a favorite Vegetarian Grocery shop ...

Will try what you mentioned next time :)

Cheers :)

Sunny said...

Where to get the Mocha soy? looks good!

a veg*n @ Blog*Spot said...

Hi Sunny

Are you referring to Green Tea Soy Milk? NTUC or Jollibean :)

Cheers :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails