Friday, November 30, 2007

Deep-Fried Spring Rolls with Banana

It is something like Pisang Goreng (Banana Fritters) which the banana is dipped in batter and then deep-fried. In here, what we need is to wrap the banana with a spring roll wrapper and just deep-fried. Very simple and that’s! Just don't eat too much deep-fried items!

Preparation: 8 mins, Cooking time: 10 mins

Ingredients (serves 2)
° 1 (200g) ripe banana, peeled, halved and cut 6 sections
° 6 pieces spring roll pastry skin, 125 x 125mm
° vegetable oil, for deep-frying

Method
1. Place a piece of spring roll pastry skin on a chopping board or plate. Place a section of banana on it and roll up. Repeat for the rest.
2. Heat oil in a deep-fryer or wok over high heat or until a cube of bread dropped into the oil brown in few seconds. Drop the spring roll into the hot oil and fry in batches until lightly golden brown.
3. Remove the spring roll with a slotted spoon. Drain well on kitchen paper.
4. Arrange on a serving plate and serve immediately.

6 comments:

dreamy said...

Cool! You are very creative!

a veg*n @ Blog*Spot said...

Thanks Dreamy.

Ci Wen Vegetarian Stall at AMK even got Roti Prata with banana :) I just notice it today.

Cheers :)

Joe Lai said...

Hi crystal,

I love your blog and the yummy food you blog about. I am trying my hands in salad making. Very humble stuff. I wrote about it in my blog flyingfishfriends.blogspot.com

I am writing because it seems you are quite good at vegetarian food. I like to ask if you knew or know someone who can tell me how to use the gum from the fruits of this tree I found recently in Yio Chu Kang Rd (aka Serangoon). See my website: http://www.eart-h.com/text/corddi1.htm

Someone indicated to me the gum is used traditionally by vegetarian to make sticky paste for cocking some veg dishes, but that person don't want to elaborate.

Hope to hear from you! cheers! : )

Joe Lai

a veg*n @ Blog*Spot said...

Hi Joseph

Thank you very much. In fact, I don't have the answer to your question. This is the first time I see the fruit.

May I suggest that you write to Writer and Food Consultant Chris Tan on Sunday Times.

Just email your food-related question to suntimes@sph.com.sg, with Ask The Foodie in the header. Include your full name, NRIC number and Contact details.

Sorry about that :(

Irene @ H.V.R. said...

I made this dish yesterday and my kids totally love it. I was even shocked that they loved it since they are picky eaters. Thanks for sharing.

a veg*n @ Blog*Spot said...

Hi Irene,

Great to hear this, thanks for leaving the comment. Happy to know your kids enjoy it.

Someone did share with me, putting ripe banana in the freeze for a little while, it is just like eating banana ice cream. Yet to try.

Have a great weekend.

cheers :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails