Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Broccoli and Cauliflower Curry

I had broccoli and Cauliflower Curry served in claypot at few hotels’ cafes in Malaysia and I just love it. It is simple and yet delicious. I regretted not remembering this dish when I was having it. Now, I am trying real hard to re-create this dish. If you prefer the curry sauce to be slight thicker, just mashed few pieces of cooked potato and stir in.

Preparation: 10 mins, Cooking time: 20 mins

Ingredients (serves 2)
° 125g broccoli florets, blanched
° 125g cauliflower florets, blanched
° 100g potato, peeled and diced
° 25g carrot, peeled and diced
° 1 lemongrass, peel off outer layers leaving tender whitish centre and bruised
° 200ml water
° 1.5 tablespoons vegetable oil
° 10-15 curry leaves
° 1 tablespoon curry powder, or to taste
° 1 tablespoon chilli powder, or to taste
° 125ml coconut milk
° salt to taste
° 1 teaspoon sugar (optional), or to taste

Method
1. Mix the curry powder and chilli powder with a tad of water to form curry paste.
2. Heat oil in a wok or frying pan, fry the curry leaves for half a minute. Stir in the curry paste and fry until fragrant.
3. Add in the potatoes, carrot, lemongrass, water and bring to a boil. Simmer for 10 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. Stir in the coconut milk and bring to a boil. Season with salt and sugar.
4. Off the fire and throw in the broccoli and cauliflower. Mix well and serve hot.

4 comments:

ainelivia said...

Wonderful recipe, and it looks very tasty. Can you tell me what are the spices in the curry powder? And what amounts? As there are so many curry powders and I wouldn't know which to use. Am in UK.

a veg*n @ Blog*Spot said...

Thank you.

The curry powder from different brand will be different and but on the whole it work fine for this recipe, although I prefer ‘localised’ curry powder than the India cuisine’s curry powder (again, personal preference).

The ingredients of the curry powder that I used is only list the ingredients, it consist of coriander, dry chilli, salt, fennel seed, dhall, turmeric, cumin, black pepper, cinnamon, star anise, clove, cardamom …

Hope this helps :)

Cheers :)

ainelivia said...

Thanks so much, that sounds delicious, my mouth just watering as I read it.

And it will be interesting to try and make my own curry powder from the ingredients you mention.

As well as I will try to see what my local Malaysian/Chinese shop has in the way of packets, as they curry powders I get there are usually milder and are the ones I like.

Again thank you for your help. Cheers Carol

a veg*n @ Blog*Spot said...

No problem at all :)

Cheers

Related Posts with Thumbnails