This is a vegetarian version of ‘Siew Mai” - small steamed dumplings with pork inside a thin wheat flour wrapper. In this recipe, I am using the ready made wonton skin wrapper instead of making the wheat flour wrapper. The filling is actually the same that I used for the rice noodle parcel and soon kueh, only it is much finer. These vegetarian dim sum are the recreation of what I had tasted, it might not be exactly the same but quite close. In fact, it is quite fun and easy to make!
Preparation: 25 mins, Cooking time: 10 mins
Ingredients (makes 12)
° 12 pieces wonton skin
° 150g yam bean, peeled and finely shredded/grated
° 25g carrot, peeled and finely shredded/grated
° 10 dried black fungus shreds, soaked and chopped
° 2 dried Chinese mushrooms, soaked and finely sliced
° 1 slice ginger, finely chopped
° 1½ tablespoons vegetable oil
° 60ml water
° ½ teaspoon sugar
° ¼ teaspoon salt, or to taste
° 1 teaspoon light soy sauce, or to taste
° pepper, to taste
° few drops sesame oil
° 1 teaspoon corn flour, mixed with 1 tablespoon water
To prepare filling
1. Heat oil in a wok. Add in the ginger and fry till fragrant. Throw in yam bean, carrot, black fungus, mushroom and stir-fry briskly. Add the water, salt, sugar, light soy sauce and pepper. Stir fry over medium heat for 1 minute, stirring occasionally and simmer until the vegetables is tender and slightly dry.
2. Stir in the corn flour mixture to thicken the sauce and give it one last stir fry. Season with sesame oil.
3. Transfer to a dish and let it cool.
To wrap siew mai
1. Place a piece of wonton skin in a small container (disposable plastic chilli container for takeaway). Fill with 1 to 1½ teaspoons of filling, giving it a little press and cutting off any protruding wonton skin. Remove from the container and place on a well-greased heat proof plate.
2. Alternatively, cut off the four corner of the wonton skin. Place 1 to 1½ teaspoons of filling in the middle and enclose with the wonton skin, with the top left uncovered. Flatten the base of the siew mai and place on a well-greased heat proof plate.
To steam siew mai
1. Steam for 5 minutes and remove from the streamer.
2. Serve warm.