Udon is a type of thick wheat-based noodle which is very popular in Japanese cuisine. Besides using it for noodle soup, here is a stir-fry version. For this recipe, I used cabbage, carrot and shimeji mushroom. Don’t be constraint from using other ingredients like pepper chilli, shredded black fungus, shiitake mushrooms.
Preparation: 10 mins, Cooking time: 15 mins
Ingredients (serves 2-3)
° 2 packs (400g) udon noodle
° 25g carrot, peeled and shredded
° 150g cabbage, shredded
° 150g buna shimeji mushroom/brown beech mushroom, base discarded and separated
° 2 cloves garlic or 2 slices ginger, finely chopped
° 2 tablespoons olive oil
° ½ teaspoon salt
° 2 tablespoons light soy sauce, or to taste
° ground black pepper, to taste
° 750ml water, for cooking udon
° a small handful fresh coriander leaves or spring onion, for garnish
1. Place the udon in a pot or wok of lightly salted boiling water and cook for 5 minutes or until tender. Drain well and set aside.
2. Heat oil in a wok or frying pan. Add the garlic or ginger and fry till fragrant.
3. Add the carrot, cabbage and stir-fry briskly for 30 seconds.
4. Add the mushroom and stir-fry for 1½ minutes. Season to taste with salt and push all the ingredients aside.
5. Throw in the udon, add the light soy sauce and toss gently to mix over low heat. Sprinkle some water for easier tossing, if needed. Season to taste with black pepper.
6. Dish up, garnish with coriander leaves or spring onion and serve immediately.