Thunder Tea Fried Rice garnish with crispy basil leaves with chilli
I am trying to find different ways to fried rice and decide to make use of the herbs used for thunder tea rice. If you like the thunder tea rice, most likely you will enjoy this thunder tea fried rice. To make it more nutritious, I add tofu to the fried rice. Besides sesame seeds and peanuts, I have included some cashew nuts as well (add some pine nuts if desired). If you like salted radish (chye poh), just add that in too.
Preparation: 10 mins, Cooking time: 8 mins
Ingredients (serves 2)
° 200g rice, cooked
° 1 small (125g) firm beancurd/tofu, pat dried and diced
° 2 tablespoons olive oil
° salt, to taste
° ½ teaspoon green tea powder, or to taste
° 1-1½ teaspoons roasted/toasted white sesame seeds
° 2 tablespoons roasted/toasted peanuts
° some cashew nuts (optional)
Thunder Tea Paste
° 25g basil leaves (stems removed before weighing)
° 25g mint leaves (stems removed before weighing)
° 25g coriander
° 1 slice ginger
° 30ml water
1. Place the basil leaves, mint leaves, coriander, and ginger in a multi-chopper with 30ml of water. Blend well and set aside.
2. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a wok. Add the tofu and pan fry till lightly brown. Drain well on kitchen paper and set aside.
3. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a wok over medium heat and fry thunder tea paste for a moment.
4. Stir in the cooked rice and season with salt and green tea powder. Fry about 2-3 minutes or until rice is heated through. Throw in the tofu and mix well.
5. Sprinkle some sesame seeds, peanuts, cashew nut and serve hot.
1. Rice for frying must be cooked at least 2 hours in advance or the night before.