Friday, October 12, 2007

Avocado with Palm Sugar

Avocado with Sauce I
Avocado with Sauce II
Special thank to amazing ‘Anonymous’ who left a comment in my blog regarding avocado. ‘Anonymous’ mentioned that the Fruit Seller said that eating avocado with honey is delicious and recommended me to try. Seriously, I had never tried that before. Well, I was thinking how about a vegan version. Then the idea of using Gula Melaka (Palm Sugar) came to my mind. The result was not bad. I had 2 different sauce versions for dipping the avocado in. One is thicker and the other is more like syrup. It depends on personal preferences. Alternatively, you can blend the avocado into a creamy paste and add gula melaka on it. Ripe avocados are those that are brownish in colour and soft to touch, not the greenish one!

Avocado by itself is rather bland and when I was eating it yesterday, it had a taste so familiar and yet I cannot recall immediately. It took me a long time and I finally got it and came up with two recipes.

Preparation: 8 minutes

Ingredients (serves 1)
° 1 ripe avocado, diced or blended

Sauce I – Thick Gula Melaka Sauce
° 25g gula melaka (palm sugar), finely chopped
° 1 teaspoon hot water

Sauce II – Gula Melaka Syrup
° 25g gula melaka (palm sugar), finely chopped
° 25ml-30ml hot water

Method
1. Combine gula melaka and hot water. Stir until the gula melaka dissolved.
2. Serve as a dipping sauce for avocado or drizzle over the creamy avocado.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i preferred avocado plain....though it tasted blend...but somehow or rather it has its own natural 'sweetness'... last time, i hv a friend who spread it with cond milk and kept it frozen....and when eaten, it tasted like 'ice cream'...however, the cond milk smell stronger..therefore i always eat it plain....anyhow, crystal nice try! SF

a veg*n @ Blog*Spot said...

I see :)

Yeah, avocado is blend so it will take whatever flavour it mixed with.

Cheers,

Anonymous said...

Thanks, glad that my suggestion added 2 more recipe. Btw, is palm sugar the same as coconut sugar?
Read that it is a good nutritious & healthy with mineral components. I tried telling the provision shop owner I want palm sugar & they pointed coconut sugar to me. Is it possible that you can show a picture of palm sugar before it become a syrup? Thanks:-)

a veg*n @ Blog*Spot said...

Hi Anonymous

Thanks, just drop me a line anytime.

I have a picture of Gula Melaka it at another post - http://crystalbyblog.blogspot.com/2006/10/traditional-grass-jelly-drink.html

"Palm Sugar" is more of a produce of Thailand. Some slight difference between them. On the whole, it best to take less sugar.

Indonesian Restuarant usually pour this syrup on top of the creamy avocado drink.

In S'pore, we can find Gula Melaka syrup on sale.

For honey subsitute - might want to consider organic maple syrup, just remember it.

Cheers,

Related Posts with Thumbnails