I love simple dish that does not need lots of culinary skill. For this recipe, the sauce is just enough to avoid any wastage. If you prefer more sauce, just increase the ingredients for the sauce to 1.5 times. Ginger or garlic can be sliced and discarded prior to adding the mushroom, if you prefer a neater presentation.
Preparation: 5 mins, Cooking time: 10 mins
Ingredients (serves 2)
° 200g china chye sim, trimmed
° 8 fresh shiitake mushrooms
° 2 slices gingers or 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
° 1 tablespoon olive oil
° 500ml water
° ¼ fresh red chilli (optional), finely chopped
° 1 tablespoon vegetarian oyster sauce
° 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
° 5 tablespoons water
° 1 teaspoon cooking rice wine (optional)
° 1 teaspoon sesame oil (optional)
1. Bring 500ml water to a boil. Blanch china chye sim in batches for 45 - 60 seconds or until crisp-tender. Drain well and arrange on a serving plate.
2. Mix all the ingredients for the sauce in a bowl and set aside.
3. Heat oil in a wok or frying pan. Add the ginger or garlic and fry until fragrant.
4. Add the mushroom and stir-fry for 1 minute. Stir in the sauce, continue to cook for 1 minute.
5. Pour over the china chye sim, garnish with some red chilli and serve immediately.