Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Eight Treasure Porridge


Ingredients: sticky rice, rice, crushed corn, red kidney bean, read bean, black rice, white kidney bean, hushed buckwheat, peanut, mung bean, red jujube.

The other day, I used Eight Treasure Porridge to cook Eight Treasure Rice instead. This time, I use it to cook porridge. Again, it is fairly simple. Wash and rinse and soak for 5 hours and cook for 30 minutes. It was suggested to add sugar and but I used salt instead and it is equally tasty.

Preparation: 5 mins, plus 3-5 hrs standing time, Cooking time: 30 mins

Ingredients (serves 2)
° 125g eight treasure rice, washed and drained
° 1.5 litre water
° salt to taste

Method
1. Put the rice and water in a claypot or pot. Let it stands for 3-5 hour.
2. Bring the porridge to a boil and simmer for 20 - 30 minutes. Stirring occasionally or every 10 minutes. Season to taste with salt.
3. Ladle the congee into individual serving bowls and serve hot.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks Yummy, I tried to find at Cold storage & other NTUC outlet but cld only find "Wu Gu Mi" (Five Grain Rice) at Rice section. Did you find it at Dry Stock section or Rice section?
Pls advise, thank you, Good Week Ahead

:)Sunny

a veg*n @ Blog*Spot said...

Hi Sunny

I have not try Cold Storage. I found it at the dried stock section at NTUC - Bishan J8, $2.96 per pack (454g). The last time, I went again, it was out of stock.

Usually Hypermart have more stuff, not sure have stock for this item.

I might want to suggest that NTUC near my place to carry such stock :p

Imported by Belfang Herbs Supplier Pte Ltd
3 Lorong Bakar Batu #03-05 Brightway Building S348741 Tel: 65-6846 1925, fax: 65-6846 1927

Cheers,

Unknown said...

Would you know if this can be soaked overnight? As I don't get up early enough to soak it in the morning?

a veg*n @ Blog*Spot said...

Hi Smugcat,

Err.... It should not be a problem! Give it a try :) I soaked red bean overnite too and cooked in the morning. So, i guess, it should work.

Thanks.

Cheers :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails