Lost my entire photo collection again (corrupted), second time in a month, guess I will have to stop blogging for a while, no photo for the recipes. Only left with this photo and also decided to pamper myself (laze a bit) after I had made a trip to Blood Bank for blood donation yesterday.
The ‘O’ blood group is current at status LOW these few weeks - http://www.donorweb.org/bloodstocks/, so if you are a local and feeling well for the past 3 weeks and didn’t take any medication for past 3 days, make a trip for blood donation if possible. Who says Vegetarian Diet is lacking, if a Thalassemia Minor like me on a Veg*n diet donated blood for 7 times already, so no worry if you eat well.
Back to this recipe, for a change, using cabbage leaves to wrap the tofu (the tofu ingredients can be used to make tofu ball, wonton filling etc with slight modifications) … It is a little bit of work and I feel that the marinating ingredients, sauce and tofu texture can be further improved. Maybe, next round I would try adding otah ingredients to it or something else. Give the cabbage leaf a very quick blanch, to soften it for wrapping. Keep the water from blanching for steaming. For simplicity and control of oil intake, I omitted the step heating oil in the wok with ginger or garlic, to make the sauce.
Preparation: 15 mins Cooking time: 15 mins
Ingredients (makes 6 pieces)
° 1 (225g) firm tofu (beancurd), washed, pat dry with kitchen paper and mashed
° 6 pieces Beijing Cabbage leave, blanched
° 3 Chinese dried mushrooms, soaked, drained and chopped
° ½ carrot, chopped
° 1 tablespoon corn starch
° 1 teaspoon sesame oil
° sugar, to taste
° salt, to taste
° pepper, to taste
° 125ml stock or water
° 1 tablespoon vegetarian oyster sauce
° 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
° ¼ - ½ teaspoon sugar
° ½ teaspoon sesame oil
° 1 teaspoon corn flour
1. Combine the mashed tofu, mushrooms, carrot, corn starch, sesame oil, sugar, salt, pepper and mix well. Divide into 6 portions.
2. Place 1 pieces of cabbage leaves on the chopping board or plate. Place a portion of tofu in the centre and roll up. Secure with a toothpick, if desired and repeat with the rest.
3. Place the tofu parcel on the plate and steam for 10 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, pour all the sauce ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Heat the mixture in a wok, stirring and bring to a boil.
5. Arrange the cabbage tofu parcel on a serving plate and drizzle with sauce and serve immediately.